It was sooo gorgeous out today. And it is supposed to be like that tomorrow too, and i have no classes. What does this mean? Time to engage in Fall-ey type activities.
Now, you may ask, what makes an activity Fall-ey? Well it is actually quite a prestigious tag given to only the most fun, most rewarding, and most memorable fall-related things. Some people get confused when they hear the word Fall, and believe that it is associated with school, the end of the wonderful summer freedom, and the disappearance of lazy days. This assumption, however, is not accurate. These things should not be harnessed with Fall. They are strictly Autumnish.
Autumnish things are the activities, routines, and the schedules we are compelled to keep when this season returns around September.
- Waking up early
- Going to bed on time (ish)
- Remembering what day it is
- Getting stuck behind people going 25/30 mph on south river road
- Being depressed Sunday night, etc.
These are the type of thing that comes with the formality of Autumn, but can’t be understood as Fall-ey. Most Fall-ey things are spur of the moment, on a whim things. Not like the structured events of Autumn. Things that just make you happy, no matter how trivial or dumb they sound, are true Fall-ey things.
- Jumping in the leaves
- Skipping through colored trees
- Taking random drives and not getting lost or if you do it is ok
- Seeing stars and appreciating them all the more because you know their time is limited.
- Taking a deep breath and the air is cold and clean and smells so good.
- Drinking apple cider (or just apple juice) outside and thinking only of how beautiful everything is
- Putting a long-sleeved shirt/sweater/jacket on in the morning because it is sunny but sorta cold.
- Drinking or eating pumpkin flavored things. Or carving pumpkins. Or basically anything that pumpkins are involved with.
- Talking with someone, and turning to face the sun to get your faces warm, a little cold, but not wanting to go inside because it feels so good and is so awesome and you know winter is coming and you wont have this chance.
Those are true Fall-ey things. And for something to be Fall-ey, it has to be on one of these perfect days. Sunny and chilly, beautiful and clear. Where the leaves are changing and falling. You can’t just make an activity Fall-ey.
Things that might be done to attempt to achieve a Fall-ey activity but don’t actually count
- Pulling green leaves off a tree in order to jump in them and make a leaf angel in Springtime.
- Visiting the pumpkin patch in April.
- Skipping through an apple orchard in the rain.
- Dancing and singing the monster mash in July.
All of these things in the right circumstances might be Fall-ey, but just don’t work that way if you try to force it at the wrong time. You don’t get many Fall-ey days. At least here. So deal with them wisely.